There is a reason our office sees so many of patients right after they return from travel. Travel HURTS! Sitting in one position for too long in a car or enduring the physical demands of flying will cause anybody to have a sore low back and neck. There are things you can do to help.
For car travel, adjusting your seat so the lumbar support supports your low back and raising the seat back to 90 degrees helps (straight). To help alleviate the soreness, getting out and walking around for 5 minutes every 2 hours is also a very good idea.
For planes, getting wheeled luggage and keeping your bags off of the shoulder carry position should be mandatory! Unfortunately, airplane seats were not designed for good posture; take a small blanket or pillow to fold up in your low back will help tremendously. Also use a neck pillow if you plan on sleeping. And make sure to get up when you have the opportunity.
- A few more tips to reduce pain and stress on your body during travel:
- Lift luggage carefully- bend at the knees and use leg muscles rather than back muscles to lift
- Bring your own back support/ lumbar support pillow
- Support your feet- make sure your feet are placed on a firm, flat surface while sitting
- Pack light!
- Move as much as possible
- Stretch your legs and hips
Travel can enrich our lives in so many ways. Make it as enjoyable as possible by reducing the stress on your body in every way you can. For those times you still arrive home with the aches and pains and stiffness, a chiropractic adjustment and massage can make you feel renewed.
Yours in health,
M. Zuber, D.C., Frisco’s Sports Chiropractor