Here in the office, we are asked practically every day what supplements are best for maintaining your health and maximizing your performance. A quick stroll thru any vitamin store will show you just how confusing it can all be. But it’s true, there IS a magic supplement that will both help you stay healthy and improve performance!
Even better, if you don’t take this supplement, then all other additions will not work properly. And the best part, it cost nothing! So what is this magic supplement?
That’s right, good ol’ water! When a person does not take in enough water, several negative things happen. The metabolism slows down, digestion becomes poor, cell inflammation increases, and tissues weaken. How much is enough water you ask? If you are sedentary, then approximately 75% of your body weight in pounds is about right (If you weigh 160 pounds, then 120 ounces of water). If you are active and sweat a lot, then increase that accordingly. Elite athletes might even double their body weight.
The CDC offers these tips for making sure you get enough water in your system:
- Carry a water bottle for easy access when you are at work of running errands.
- Freeze some freezer safe water bottles. Take one with you for ice-cold water all day long.
- Choose water instead of sugar-sweetened beverages. This can also help with weight management. Substituting water for one 20-ounce sugar sweetened soda will save you about 240 calories. For example, during the school day students should have access to drinking water, giving them a healthy alternative to sugar-sweetened beverages.
- Choose water when eating out. Generally, you will save money and reduce calories.
- Add a wedge of lime or lemon to your water. This can help improve the taste and help you drink more water than you usually do.
Remember, in order to achieve true health you must hydrate your body and drink water every day. Motivate. Hydrate. Feel great!
Yours in health,
M. Zuber, D.C., Frisco’s Sports Chiropractor